A group relaxes together on a picnic blanket.

Transfer Credit

Welcome to Manhattanville! Please select a student category below that fits your profile.

Registrar Home


Prospective transfer students are eligible to receive a maximum of 90 transfer credits. Coursework eligible for transfer must come from accredited institutions, and must be comparable to the liberal arts curriculum offered at Manhattanville. Transfer credit is awarded only for courses in which students earn grades of C- or higher. One-half of all coursework for one's major or minor must be taken at Manhattanville.

  1. Official college transcripts for prospective students should be sent to the Office of Admissions for processing.
  2. Students will be contacted with a preliminary evaluation of their official transcripts indicating the number of credits to be awarded.
  3. Upon depositing, new transfer students will be given a transcript evaluation, including total number of transfer credits and Manhattanville course equivalencies for all credits, prior to their first semester at the College.
  4. Transfer students must have specific courses approved by their division chair to apply such courses to requirements in the major and/or minor.
  5. The First Year Program at Manhattanville University is a graduation requirement for all undergraduate students entering the College with fewer than 30 approved transfer credits. Students entering with 30 or more transfer credits are exempt from the First Year Program.

Entering Degree Programs with a Previously Conferred Degree

If a student has an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all courses taken toward that degree, they will receive full credit for all courses successfully completed. Courses with a grade of D will be accepted as transfer credit for Liberal Arts credit requirements only.

Students who hold an AA, AS, or Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution are exempt from completing Manhattanville University's General Education requirements. Please note, this exemption does not apply to students transferring with a completed AAS degree.

Prospective Non-Matriculated Students (Non-Degree)

Non matriculated students are not required to submit college transcripts and transfer credit will not be awarded if an official transcript is received. Students may be asked to produce transcripts of previous college coursework if they are seeking to register for a Manhattanville course that requires completion of certain prerequisites

Deposited students are instructed to have all official college transcripts, military transcripts, IB transcripts, and AP and CLEP Score Reports mailed to the Registrar's Office. Once processed, students may view their non-course credits in Student Planning by selecting "Test Summary" under the Academics menu.

Advanced Placement (AP)

College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on their AP Coursework and AP Examination completed while in high school. Credit is awarded in all subjects for exam scores of 3 or higher. Credits earned from AP exams completed in high school are not counted toward the 30-credit exemption from the First Year Program requirement. See the College Catalog for details, including a complete listing of how AP credits can transfer toward your Manhattanville degree.

British General Certificates

Six semester hours of credit (for a maximum of 28 credits) for each Advanced ("A") level examination of the British General Certificate of Education for which the student received a grade of C or better.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on their IB Coursework. Credit is awarded for courses completed at the Higher Level with scores of 5, 6, and 7; a maximum of 18 IB credits may be awarded.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on the CLEP Exam results. Credit is awarded in accordance with the American Council on Education (ACE) recommended guidelines. The College will accept 6 CLEP credits, but the Deans of the various schools may consider individual waivers of up to 12 credits. Students must obtain permission from their academic deans to take CLEPs after matriculation.

Military Credits

Manhattanville University will award credit for military education based on the guidelines presented by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students must present a Joint Military Transcript or Air University transcript (Air Force) and credits will be awarded by the Registrar’s Office. Military coursework may be equated to equivalent Manhattanville courses, but in most cases students will be awarded general, non-liberal arts credit which can be applied to their 120-credit graduation requirement. Students should consult the appropriate division chair, should they wish to apply military credits toward major and/or minor requirements.

College Credits Completed in High School

Incoming First Years who have earned college credit while enrolled in high school may have these credits transferred to Manhattanville and applied to their degree requirements. Courses must be comparable to Manhattanville offerings and either taken at an accredited institution or completed at a high school under the oversight of an accredited institution. All college coursework taken as a high school student must be recorded on an official college transcript and must carry a minimum grade of C-.

Continuing, full-time Manhattanville students may enroll in courses at other accredited institutions during the Summer or Winter terms only (special approval is necessary if students wish to take courses elsewhere in the Fall or Spring terms). Student must obtain pre-approval of courses by filling out the Transfer Credit Approval Form, acquiring the approvals of the appropriate division chair(s) then return the completed form to the Registrar's Office. Upon completing transfer coursework, students must request an official transcript to be sent to:

Manhattanville University Registrar's Office
2900 Purchase Street
Purchase, NY 10577

An evaluation of official transcripts will be completed based on students' pre-approval. Credits will not be awarded if the student has not obtained pre-approval. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing of transcripts after they have been received in the Registrar's Office.

If you have external coursework that must be evaluated as part of your graduate curriculum (either as pre-requisite, co-requisite, or transferable coursework), your official transcript(s) should be mailed to the appropriate program director.
Students may view their transfer credits in Student Planning by selecting the "Transfer Summary" tab. This screen displays external transfer credits and institutional credits earned at Manhattanville. The screen shows all accepted credits that students have earned, along with specific Manhattanville equivalencies. Even though many courses transfer to Manhattanville with a specific equivalent (i.e. SOC.1001 or HIS.1011), some courses will have a generic course equivalent.

Students who intend to transfer credits for courses taken at international institutions are required to provide official transcripts to Manhattanville’s Admissions Office. All transcripts that are not in English must be submitted with a Certified English Translation.

Following receipt of the transcript and translation, when needed, a Foreign Credential Evaluation will be handled in-house. These evaluations are for internal use only and will not be shared with students. Once this evaluation is complete, a transfer credit evaluation will be shared with the student.

In cases when we cannot identify authenticity of the official transcript the student will be required to provide evaluation reports (translated and verified with grade equivalencies) from World Education Services (WES).

Manhattanville University Transfer Evaluation System

On this page you can check your coursework from other colleges and universities to see how it will transfer to Manhattanville University. This list is frequently updated.

How to use TES

Begin by selecting the college or university where you took prior courses.

  • Type in the name of the college you want to check in the "Institution Search" field, then click Search. You may also click the appropriate letter in the "Alphabetical Index".
  • Find the course(s) you took at the selected college or university. The Manhattanville University equivalents will be listed under the "Manhattanville University" column.
  • Click the "View" button for additional information on the transfer equivalency.

If you are still having difficulty navigating the TES site, please refer to our Transfer Evaluation System (TES) Tutorial below:

TES User Tutorial (PDF) | TES Video Tutorial

Courses Not Found in TES

Prospective Students: If a course is not found on this database, it is the student's responsibility to contact their Admissions Counselor for more information. A course not found does not necessarily indicate that it will not transfer. It may simply not exist in our systems yet and will need to be evaluated for a potential equivalency to be established.

Current Manhattanville Students: If a current student is contemplating taking coursework at another institution while attending Manhattanville, but a course equivalent is not found on this database, the student must download, complete, and submit a Transfer Credit Approval Form to the Registrar's Office. In addition, the student must discuss external course work plans with their academic advisor.

Contact Us

  • Office of the Registrar



    Reid Castle 3rd Floor
    Walk-In Hours: