The Rose Institute for Learning and Literacy
The Rose Institute for Learning and Literacy prepares teachers to use a multisensory approach to literacy instruction, based upon the work of Dr. Samuel T. Orton.
The Rose Institute, in partnership with Putnam Northern Westchester BOCES, offers courses through the Hudson River Teacher Center. Teachers may choose graduate or professional development credit.
Program Offerings Advanced Certification
Science of Reading: Multisensory Instruction
This offering includes coursework, complemented by mentoring, to guide the application of a multisensory approach to teaching reading, writing, and spelling.
The program includes the following opportunities:
- 13 credit Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study
- These credits can be incorporated into the MPS Literacy (Birth-Grade 6) and Special Education Childhood (Grades 1-6)
- Training in the Orton-Gillingham Approach
- Yearlong Practicum Featuring One-on-One Mentoring
- Coursework and observations for The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator certification
- On-site in-district training opportunities
- Teachers may choose graduate credit or professional development credit
Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator Training and Practicum
Program planning guidance is offered by The Rose Institute for Learning and Literacy.
Current and Future Offerings