This is not a program for "Sports Fans." At Manhattanville College we have a vested interest in the sports industry. Of course we have our favorite teams and sports, but that is a conversation for sports radio. This is about sports business and creating the next wave of leaders for the sports business industry. Sports is a growing and thriving $600 billion annual business that touches everyone to some degree; it is also a highly competitive field — the Manhattanville Sport Business and Entertainment Management program tackles all of the pertinent areas of the sports business, and just as important, our professors and administrators have the network and contacts to make your sports business career happen or grow.
Master's in Sport Business and Entertainment Management
Manhattanville’s Master of Science in Sport Business and Entertainment Management program is the only fully accredited degree of its kind in the Westchester/Fairfield County (CT) area. The program is designed to give ambitious professionals the knowledge, experience, and networking opportunities required to assume a challenging role in sport management.
The sport management industry is a competitive field that demands a high-level of professional skill and industry-specific knowledge. Getting your foot in the door is especially challenging without a strong network of connections. You can gain the edge needed to break into the field with our Master’s in Sport Business and Entertainment Management program.
In our sport business and entertainment management program you’ll be learning from the experts. Our outstanding adjunct faculty roster includes veterans from all areas of the sports industry. This goes with our belief that education is important and making connections is paramount!
The foundational core courses of the curriculum focus on business principles relating to finance, marketing, communications, and strategy within the world of sports and entertainment. Students have the option to pursue one of two concentrations in either sport business or entertainment management.
Classes are offered year-round in the fall, spring, and summer semesters with both weekday and evening courses available. Please note that core courses are not offered during the summer semester. The program consists of 36-credit hours and coursework culminates in a Capstone Research Project.
Sport Business and Entertainment Management Internships
The program includes a mandatory internship to assist students in preparing for middle and upper level positions within a variety of markets, including but not limited to: professional sport, intercollegiate athletics, and amateur and youth athletic organizations.
There are ample opportunities in the area of Westchester, Fairfield County, and the greater New York City area. Our management team is available to help students facilitate the process of finding an internship. If a current student already has professional experience within sports and entertainment management, that may take the place of the internship requirement.
Sport Management Networking Opportunities
In addition to our faculty being experienced in the field, the board of advisors of this program is made up of veteran employees of industry giants such as ABC Sports, the NY Knicks, USA Boxing, CBS Sports, and more.
This extensive network of industry leaders, professionals, and peers uniquely positions our students to build connections that can jumpstart exciting careers in the competitive field of sports business management. What’s more, we also regularly bring renowned guest speakers to campus.
On top of these networking opportunities, students have access to a vast network of industry professionals through our alumni, the connections available in nearby New York City, and even fellow students.
In our current student body, 30% of students are already working within the sports management industry, 30% are using this degree to propel a career change, and 40% are recent undergraduates. Students come from many prestigious undergraduate institutions including Harvard, BC, North Carolina, Bates, Fairfield College, and Manhattanville College.
Careers in Sport Management and Entertainment Management
The sports industry is a $600 billion annual business impacting nearly every member of our society. As a result, careers in this field are extremely competitive. The master’s program at Manhattanville prepares graduates to secure middle and upper level employment in a wide array of positions within the industry.
Possible positions include sports administrator, corporate sponsorship director, head coach, agent, general manager, sports marketer, and other executive level roles. Our alumni hold jobs with the New York Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Jets, Giants, Islanders, the Olympic Games, and more. They also work at various venues and with a myriad of associations and agencies.
This master’s degree program combines business acumen with impressive networking opportunities to prepare graduates for exciting careers within sport and entertainment management. Sounds interesting? Request more information or download our program sheet.
The newly revised M.S. in Sport Business and Entertainment Management program provides students with a comprehensive interdisciplinary foundation of sport and entertainment business management principles and strategic practices, preparing the graduate for a variety of management roles. In addition, the revised curriculum has been designed to allow students to deepen knowledge, enhance practical skills and achieve a functional specialization in a selected business discipline area. Students will understand and gain a solid and broad business management foundation expansive learning meant for future business leaders in the sport and entertainment business industry.
The revised Master of Science in Sport and Entertainment Management degree is designed for students who want to tailor their focus, both in the selection of their required core courses and by creating a customized program of study with electives in a chosen concentration. The degree prepares graduates to contribute to and take leading positions in the global sports and entertainment industry.
Senior level executives are weekly visitors to campus to teach, speak or take part in seminars, panel discussions and an annual career fair. Student body make-up is sport and entertainment industry professionals, career changers, recent college graduates. We have alumni worldwide working in the sports business industry as well as general business. Evening weeknight format. 36 credits.
The Sport Business and Entertainment Management Program is supported by an advisory board comprised of prominent practitioners in the sport management field and some in academics. Their insights and advice help keep the program relevant in an ever-changing sport and business environment.
• Art Berke, Sports Illustrated, MLB, ABC Sports • Kevin Hallinan, Senior Vice President, Major League Baseball (Retired) • Rich Ensor, Esq., Commissioner, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference • Joe Favorito, Former VP NY Knicks • Jim Millman, Millsport Founder CEO USA Boxing • Rod Mergardt, MAXPREPS, Professor and former Athletics Director • Barry Hyde, Chief Marketing Officer United States Golf Association • Mitch Hoffman, President & CEO Bobby Valentine Sports Academy • Dr. Annie Clement, Professor, Author, Researcher, Attorney, and Academic Leader • Albie Collins, Retired Executive/Tennis Coach and Ivy League Tennis Legend • Dr. Bernie Kish, Director of Facilities/Lecturer, University of Kansas School of Education, Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Science • Mark Piazza, Senior Vice President, Sports Team Operations, Madison Square Garden • Rick Walls, Executive Director Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum • Jerry Cifarelli, President ANC Sports • John Samerjan, Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority • Robert A. Correa, Senior Vice President, Programming CBS Sports • Tom McGovern, U.S. Director of Sports Media OMD, OmnicomMedia Group • Mark Jeffers, President, MARSAR Consulting • Shaun May, Director of Public Relations, Brotman, Winter, Fried Communications • Jon Goldman, Managing Partner at Reaching Our Goal • Nik Kumar, Chief Revenue Officer, Lions Sport Marketing Below are some of the partners as part of a growing network of companies and individuals who are involved in the SBM Program:
Jeff Day '10 Foundations Manager Metropolitan Golf Association "Manhattanville's Master of Science in Sport Business Management could provide me with the advantage I was looking for. Mville's program was ideal for me. The location is convenient for commuting purposes, but, more importantly, Mville is located just outside of New York, which is the sports capital of the world. I knew the program could provide me with great networking, internship and career opportunities. My interviewers from the NHL were very impressed that I was enrolled in graduate program. It was encouraging to see how interested they were in the SBM program, the faculty and curriculum. These key components' all from the SBM program - played a major role in securing a six-month, full-time internship at the National Hockey League. The network of Mville SBM alumni and students is very impressive; they work for major sports agencies, leagues, teams, networks, etc. The bottom line is; if you desire to work in sports, Mville can provide you with a major competitive advantage."
Mariana Mastracchio '12 M.S. in Sport Business Management Degree Candidate "I was looking for a grad program and I checked out MBA programs at many schools, but I wasn't happy with their offerings. I checked Mville's website and learned about the MS in Sport Business Management and within moments I fell in love with the program! I feel much more confident that being part of the SBM program will make me a more marketable candidate as I pursue a more satisfying career in the sports industry. If you're looking for a program with top-of-the-line professors that have real world experience in the sports industry, Mville is the place to go."
Bryan Ulrich '09 Jr. Marketing Manager Global Events & Sponsorship Financial Times "Taking courses with adjunct professors who are established in their fields was a big motivator for me. It really broadens your networks, you know you're going to get professional-level experience and it's great practice for your career. Being part of a new, up-and-coming program is exciting; you really feel like you have a voice in developing ideas and building the program. The hands-on experience was great."
How to Apply to School of Professional Studies programs
Graduate Program and Advanced Certificates: Spring, Summer and Fall
Sport Business and Entertainment Management
Graduate International students please see this additional information. (Advanced certificates are not eligible for international admissions).
1. On-Line Application: The School of Professional Studies on-line application can be found at the following link: APPLY NOW
2. Personal Essay: In a candid personal essay of 500-750 words, explain:
How and why you decided to pursue this program
Why the selected academic program is a good match for your future goals
What you as a candidate can bring to our classroom
What special skills, leadership abilities, volunteer or other life experiences make you a good overall fit for the selected program?
3. Resume: Submit a current resume indicating educational and business experience.
4. Transcripts: Graduate Domestic (All Master of Science and Advanced Certificates) An earned undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0* is required. Please send official transcripts from every school attended to date sent directly to the School of Professional Studies Admissions Office. Student copies are not acceptable. SPS will consider a slightly lower GPA with significant workplace history.
5. Recommendations: Two letters of recommendations, either academic or professional, from a reference writer who can speak to the candidate’s intellectual capability and ability to handle the rigors of the applicant’s program. Letters can be uploaded via the on-line application. References writers may provide their own letter or you may forward our standard Professional Letter of Recommendation form available on our website if you prefer.
6. Application Fee: Fee waivers are available for attending Open Houses. Please check the website for our next available dates and to RSVP. Please note that paying the application fee must be the last step you complete prior to submitting your application. Visit the Paypal page and click return to Manhattanville Application page to complete the submission. Graduate and Advanced Certificate: $75
7. Health Records: Due at the time of enrollment, Adult students please submit the Health Form with proof of immunization against measles and rubella, in compliance with New York State regulations. This requirement applies to only students born on or after January 1 1957.
8. International Applicants: International students are eligible for Master of Science degrees only because of program and visa requirements. For admissions, if your undergraduate education was conducted at a non-US institution, we will require transcript credentials from either (WES) World of Education Services Inc. (www.WES.org) or a member of (NACES) National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. (www.naces.org/members.html). Please review this list carefully as we cannot accept credentials from organizations not on this list. If your undergraduate education was not conducted in English, we will require a test of English language skills through any of the following sources: TOEFL, IELTS, ITEP. Please note that our minimum IBT TOEFL is 85, IELTS is 7 and ITEP is B2.
9. Optional: GRE, GMAT for graduation applications and SAT & ACT test scores for undergraduate applications are optional and not a required component to determine an admissions decision, however if you wish to submit any testing scores, we are happy to consider them as part of your overall application if you feel it will strengthen your application.
Submit all materials to: Manhattanville School of Professional Studies Office of Admissions 2900 Purchase Street — Reid G5 Purchase, NY 10577
For any questions on the application or submission materials please contact Monika Pottgen, Assistant Director of Recruitment and Admissions at 914.323.5150 or email@example.com.
Please consult the website or Admissions Department for any deadlines and/or for questions regarding non-matriculated status.
Click here for more information on Tuition and Fees
School of Professional Studies - Office of Admissions Phone: 914.323.5150 firstname.lastname@example.org