Pharmacy Technician Certificate Program
Pharmacy Technician Certificate Program Overview
Manhattanville’s online Pharmacy Technician Certificate program is short-term training for students pursuing careers as certified pharmacy technicians. Enter a rewarding healthcare field, with coursework completely online. Once students successfully complete the program they are eligible to sit for the PTCE (Pharmacy Technician Certification Program) through PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) to obtain the CPhT credential. Upon obtaining the CPhT credential, an application for licensure through NYS must be submitted.
See below for PTCB board exam eligibility & NYS OP for Licensure Requirements.
PTCB-Accredited Online Pharmacy Technician Certification Program
In Manhattanville’s online pharmacy technician certification program, students gain a comprehensive understanding of pharmacy operations and how to perform tasks related to the preparation and dispensing of medications.
In addition to flexible asynchronous online coursework, students in the online pharmacy technician training program are eligible to participate in an optional clinical externship at the end of the program. During the externship, students will have the opportunity to work with one of Manhattanville’s industry partners to gain firsthand experience in pharmacy practice and procedures.
Manhattanville’s online pharmacy technician program is a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)-Accredited Program. Accreditation of a program is required by PTCB for students to site for their board exam.
Through asynchronous online coursework, students in the pharmacy technician program:
- Earn a certificate of completion from Manhattanville’s School of Nursing & Health Sciences.
- Become eligible to site for the PTCE. See PTCE & NYS Licensure requirements below.
Please note a certificate of completion does not grant an individual the CPhT credentials. This is granted by PTCB through the board exam. Upon program completion, students are responsible for scheduling their board exam and applying for licensure.
Manhattanville’s online pharmacy technician program requires 15 weeks of asynchronous online coursework. Students must review course materials, submit assignments, and communicate with professors through their online classroom.
Online courses in the pharmacy technician program cover necessary skills including:
- Basic knowledge of disease states and medication therapy
- Medication names & classification
- Basic pharmacology principles
- State & federal pharmacy law, HIPPA
- Patient safety & quality assurance
- Order entry, prescription interpretation & processing
- Administrative & inventory management
- Billing & reimbursement
- Dosage calculations & knowledge of compounding
Students will have the opportunity to apply these skills in a pharmacy technician externship and master the interpersonal and communication skills necessary for this public-facing role.
Required materials for this program:
- Bachenheimer, B. S., & American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. (2019). Manual for Pharmacy Technicians (Fifth edition). American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ISBN: 978-1-58528-501-3
- Rewald M, Bradley L, Schramm G (2021). Pharmacy Calculations: An Introduction for Pharmacy Technicians (Second edition). American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ISBN: 978-1-58528-638-6
- Stuhan, M. A., & American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2 Ed). (2022). Understanding Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ISBN: 978-1-58528-662-1
Students may purchase these materials through ASHP.
For questions regarding the program curriculum, contact Program Director, Dr. Christopher Hanley.
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
Any use of the title "registered pharmacy technician" within New York State requires licensure.
To be licensed as a registered pharmacy technician in New York State you must:
- Be of good moral character
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have completed high school or its equivalent, as determined by the Department.
- Have received certification from a nationally accredited pharmacy technician certification program acceptable to the Department.
Find more information about New York State licensure as a Registered Pharmacy Technician and learn more about requirements in other states.
- High school diploma or GED.
- For HS seniors, a transcript reflecting senior year in progress is acceptable for admission. However, the diploma must be conferred by the start of the program.
- Have a device with internet & video/audio access.
Certified pharmacy technicians work in various pharmacy settings under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, with a focus on hospital and retail/community pharmacies.
The duties of pharmacy technicians include assisting with dispensing prescription drugs and medical devices to patients. Pharmacy technicians also perform tasks involving inventory management, administrative reporting, insurance claim processing, and more.
After obtaining the CPhT credentials, an individual may advance their career with additional certifications through PTCB, which include:
- Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician (CSPT)
- Advanced Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT-Adv)
- Billing and Reimbursement Specialist
- Controlled Substances Diversion Prevention Specialist
- Hazardous Drug Management Specialist
- Immunization Administration Specialist
- Medication History Specialist
- Medication Therapy Management Specialist
- Point-of-Care Testing Specialist
- Technician Product Verification Specialist
More information on additional credentials from PTCB can be found here.
Career Outlook for Certified Pharmacy Technicians
Certified pharmacy technicians work in the fulfilling healthcare industry one-on-one with their communities. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the employment of pharmacy technicians will increase by 5% over the next 10 years, with growth stemming from a rise in demand for prescription medication and pharmacy services.
You can obtain your CPhT credentials within a short period of time. Embark on your path towards a rewarding career in the pharmacy profession, without years of training as with other medical careers. Start your journey with Manhattanville’s online Pharmacy Technician Program.
This program is currently not accepting new student applications. Please check back during the fall of 2023 to learn more about the start date for our next online cohort.
Pharmacy Technician Program Tuition and Fees
Tuition for Manhattanville’s online Certified Pharmacy Technician training program is $2,500. The cost of tuition does not include the course materials or technology requirements (i.e. computer, internet access). Students are responsible for obtaining these before starting the program.
As a non-credit-bearing certificate, the online pharmacy technician program is not eligible for federal financial aid. Students may apply for private loans to assist with the cost of the program.
The fees for taking the PTCE and applying for NYS licensure are not included in tuition.
Please refer to PTCB’s candidate guidebook for fees associated with the PTCE.
Please refer to NYS Department of Education, Office of Professions, for fees associated with licensure.
Apply to Manhattanville’s Online Pharmacy Technician Program
Manhattanville College’s online Pharmacy Technician Certificate program positions students for state and national credentialing at an affordable price.
Excited to begin your career as a certified pharmacy technician? Take the first step and request more information.
School of Nursing and Health SciencesDr. Christopher Hanley
Pharmacy Technician Program
Nursing, and Health Sciences Admissions