Uploading Documents to Handshake
Documents you can upload to your Handshake Account:
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Recommendation
**Other documents can include, but is not limited to: Reference sheet, Unofficial Transcript, Example of work (i.e. professional social media postings, etc.), and more.
To Upload Your Resume (& other documents) to Handshake:
On your homepage – select the drop down menu under your name (top right)
- Select Documents
- Select Upload a Document
NOTE: be sure to select the correct document category (i.e. resume, cover letter, etc.).
Uploading Documents – Tips
Files should be in .PDF, .DOC, or .DOCX format. Note: The preferred format is .PDF. Handshake will automatically attempt to convert any .DOC or .DOCX format into .PDF. You will need to review and approve the converted .PDF version of your document.
You can select the Feature on Profile option if you would like your document to be able to be found and viewed by employers on Handshake or the CCD. If you want to keep the document part of your private document library, or if you’re uploading it for use in a particular job application, you may not want to feature this document on your profile. You can change this at any time by going to your documents, and toggling them visible or not visible.
Document Statuses - how to find out the status of my document
To view your documents' statuses:
- Click on your name on the top right corner of your screen
- Select Documents
- Look at the right side of your screen - each document will list a status of either Pending, Declined, or Approved
Document Statuses - What they Mean
- If your document (resume, cover letter, etc.) is in PENDING status, please allow 2-3 days after submission for review by your Career Consultant. Ensure you check your TWU Connect account often to watch for document status changes.
- If your document (resume, cover letter, etc.) is APPROVED, there is nothing further you need to do with this document. Any applications you've previously submitted (jobs you've applied to) will be immediately seen and available for review by your potential employer – no further action is required by you.
- If your document (resume, cover letter, etc.) is DECLINED, please make changes suggested by your Career Consultant and resubmit for further review ASAP.
IMPORTANT: After your edited documents (resume, cover letter, etc.) has been approved, you must withdraw your original application and re-apply with your approved documents (resume, cover letter, etc.) to assure your application will be viewed and considered. (On your TWU Connect home page, go to jobs, then applications, click on the jobs you’ve applied to and click “Withdraw.” Then, immediately click “Apply” and proceed with your approved documents.)
Again, your target employer does not see your application until you’ve applied with approved documents.