4 Year Map to Success
Laying that foundation doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a four-year process, and we’ll be with you for all of it.
Here’s our formula for your success:
FIRST YEAR: EXPLORE
CONNECT ON CAMPUS
- Get to know students, staff and faculty.
- Visit the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership – Talk to Alex & Addie and explore clubs and organizations
- Meet with your Academic Advisor
- Stop by the Library and talk to a staff member for a tour of all the available resources.
- Activate your Handshake account to search for campus employment and internships.
- Like the CCD on Facebook, follow on Instagram and read HOT NEWS to get updates on events and internships.
- Stop by the Center for Career Development (CCD) and learn about career resources.
DISCOVER YOUR STRENGTHS & INTERESTS
- Stop by The Center for Student Involvement and Leadership to start exploring opportunities to get involved on campus
- Log-In to Handshake to find internships & jobs.
- Visit the Sister Mary T. Clark, RSCJ Center to learn about Community Service and Study Abroad.
- Work on campus to build up your resume.
EXPLORE MAJOR & CAREER OPTIONS
- Speak with peer advisors, faculty, or career counselors about majors and careers.
- Draft a resume.
- Attend career related workshops and events.
SECOND YEAR: EXPERIENCE
COMMIT TO YOUR STUDIES
- Declare your major and minor.
- Get help from the tutoring center, advisors & peer mentors.
ENGAGE IN EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- Visit the Sister Mary T. Clark, RSCJ Center and apply for study abroad opportunities.
- Talk to Craig about participating in Community Service activities, such as Midnight Run.
- Seek out leadership opportunities.
BUILD CAREER AWARENESS
- Complete FOCUS 2 Assessments
- Draft a resume and cover letter using the CCD guidebooks and review with a career counselor.
- Attend career panels, workshops and internship and job fairs.
- Apply for summer internships using Handshake and other CCD recommended resources.
- Ensure you have professional interview attire.
THIRD YEAR: FOCUS
- Confirm degree requirements.
- Research graduate/professional program options.
- Talk to someone from the School of Business or the School of Education to see if Manhattanville’s Graduate programs are for you
CULTIVATE YOUR CAREER IDENTITY
PREPARE FOR YOUR SEARCH
- Consult with a career counselors to focus your plan
- Update your resume, cover letter, & LinkedIn profile to include internships and leaderships.
- Practice interviewing.
FOURTH YEAR: ACHIEVE
- Keep up with your coursework
- Step into leadership positions.
- Continue to expand your experiential learning to build your resume.
- Complete the Graduate Student Survey at the end of your Spring semester to ensure you stay connected with the CCD.
EXPAND CAREER CONNECTIONS
- Meet with a Career Counselor to create a post-graduation plan.
- Network with potential employers by attending career related events and job fairs.
- Join a professional association.
- Attend an industry event or conference to cultivate your network
- Connect with alumni through LinkedIn and networking events.
IMPLEMENT YOUR SEARCH
- Start applying for full time jobs prior to graduation (deadlines vary by industry).
- Use CCD resources to prepare for interviews.
- Select and contact faculty and past employers to request professional references.
- Participate in on-campus recruiting & Career Fairs.
- Applying to Graduate School? Take the GREs
- Track applications / follow-up.