SPRING 2021 PLAN:
With the Fall semester well underway, the College has announced the Spring calendar and plans. See our announcement on the Spring calendar. The College is prepared to welcome community members back to campus for the Spring semester with current safety precautions still in place and in accordance with current guidance from the State of New York. For questions and other communications related to the coming academic year and campus reopening, email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org. Safety policies and protocols can be found here.
Race and Ethnicity Resources
- Anti-Racism E-Books (free) from Hoopla
- Anti-Racist Book Recommendations
- Privilege, Power, and Difference, 3rd edition
- Brené with Ibram X. Kendi on How to Be an Antiracist (Podcast)
- Codeswitch (Podcast). What's CODE SWITCH? It's the fearless conversations about race that you've been waiting for! Hosted by journalists of color, our podcast tackles the subject of race head-on. We explore how it impacts every part of society — from politics and pop culture to history, sports and everything in between. This podcast makes ALL OF US part of the conversation — because we're all part of the story.
- Yo, Is This Racist? With Andrew Ti AND Tawny Newsome (Podcast)
- Banaji, Mahzarin R. Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People. New York, NY: Delacorte Press, 2013.
- Bensimon, Estela Mara. Closing the Achievement Gap in Higher Education: An Organizational Learning Perspective.
- Chemerinsky, Erwin, and Howard Gillman. Free Speech on Campus. Yale University Press, 2017.
- DiAngelo, R., 2011. "White fragility". The International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 3(3).
- Iverson, Susan. Camouflaging Power and Privilege: A Critical Race Analysis of University Diversity Policies
- McDonald, Michael A., et al. “It Takes a Campus: Building Capacity to Sustain the Diversity Journey.” Intersectionality in Action: a Guide for Faculty and Campus Leaders for Creating Inclusive Classrooms and Institutions, edited by Brooke Barnett and Peter Felton (Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, 2016), pp. 48-62.
- Metclalf, Allan, "Bias: Mark My Words." Lingua Franca blog, Chronicles of Higher Education (August 10, 2015), including the comments: https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2015/08/10/bias-mark-my-words/.
- National Center on Disability and Journalism, Disability Language Style Guide. URL: http://ncdj.org/style-guide/, Date accessed: August 30, 2016.
- Patel, Eboo, "Is Your Campus Diverse? It's a Question of Faith," Chronicles of Higher Education. (September 17, 2012): https://www.chronicle.com/article/Is-Your-Campus-Diverse-Its-a/134448.
- Staats, Cheryl. Understanding Implicit Bias: What every educator should know. Winter 2015-2016, American Educator. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1086492.pdf
- Sue, Derald Wing. Microaggressions and Marginality: Manifestation, Dynamics, and Impact. July 2010. https://nau.edu/uploadedFiles/Offices_and_Committees/CDAD/_Forms/Microagressions.pdf
- Sue, Derald Wing. Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Different Dialogues on Race. John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
- Building Cultural Competency: Vocabulary (September 2020)