Academic Advising FAQs

How do I declare or change my major and minor?

Students can declare their major anytime during their freshman and sophomore year, but must declare by their second semester of their sophomore year. Any student with 40 or more credits must declare the major by the deadline posted on the calendar for fall and/or spring.  For detailed information on declairing your major/minor, and for updating your academic advisor information, click on the Undergraduate Declaration/Change of Program or Minor Form.

Will I be able to change my major/minor after I declare?

Students can change their major or minor by using the same form used for declaring the major and/or minor. You don't need the signature of your advisor to change the minor. 

How do I self-design a major or minor?

Students must consult with threee faculty members (at least two of whom are full-time) from at least two different departments, including those from which courses are drawn.  Signatures must be obtained from at least one faculty member in each departments fom which courses are selected.  Click HERE to print a copy of the Self-Designed Major/Minor Application.

How do I change my Academic Advisor?

To officially change your advisor in your major, the Undergraduate Declaration/Change of Program or Minor Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar's office for processing.  This form must be signed by you and your new primary advisor and your new co-advisor. 

Will I still be able to meet with an advisor, in the Undergraduate Office of Academic Advising, once I transition to my new primary faculty advisor?


How do I apply for an internship?

Students who have earned 30 credits or more, and who have declared their major, can apply for an internship for credits. The Center for Career Development will assist you in your search for an internship.

How do I figure out my GPA?

Manhattanville's Grading and Grading Policies uses standard letter grades. Each letter grade is assigned a numeric grade point value to allow computation of a student's Grade Point Average (GPA).   For example, if you complete 5 courses, each conferring 3 credits, grades A, B+, F, C, and D, you can compute your scholastic index as follows:   

Divide the total grade point value by total credits.  Do not include "W" and "P" grades (from pass/fail grading option) in the attempted credits. 


 Manhattanville maintains the following letter grading system:


Grade  Grade Point Equivalent   Percentage Equivalent

A                4.0                              93-100
A-     3.66                             90-92.9
B+     3.33                             87-89.9
B       3.0                               83-86.9
B-     2.66                             80-82.9
C+     2.33                             77-79.9
C       2.0                               73-76.9
C-     1.66                             70-72.9
D       1.0                               60-69.9
     0.0                               0-59.9


 P =No Grade Point Value

For satisfactory work in a course taken on a Pass/Fail basis.



NP= No Grade Point Value

Doctoral Program only. For work that demonstrates limited mastery of the material or method of inquiry.



W=  No grade point value.

For a course from which the student has withdrawn, with the approval of the instructor and advisor, or Provost or relevant Dean, before the withdrawal deadline.



WA=  No Grade Point Value

Academic or administratively initiated withdrawal



WF=  0.0

Academic or administratively initiated withdrawal while failing or for sanction. This grade is a terminal grade and changes are not accepted.

* This scale will change in the 2017-18 academic year


What is the GPA required to make the Dean's list?

The Dean’s List honors full-time students who achieve at least a 3.6 average during a particular semester. To be eligible, students must complete at least fifteen semester hours, with a minimum of twelve hours taken for letter grades. This achievement is noted on students’ transcripts for each semester in which they fulfill these requirements.

What are the cumulative GPAs required for Latin Honors at commencement? 

Graduation honors are based on the following cumulative grade point averages:

  • 3.7 - cum laude
  • 3.8 - magna cum laude
  • 3.9 - summa cum laude

How many credits determines my class level?

0-29 - Freshman / 30-59 - Sophomore / 60 - 89 - Junior / 90+ Senior 

What is the maximum number of credits a student is allowed to register for?

19 is the maximum credits, except in majors like Music, Dance and Theater, and Castle Scholars.  A student may apply for registration in excess of these numbers.  The Application for Credit Overload, and all necessary faculty approval and registration forms, should be submitted to the Registrar's Office for consideration, and for final review by the Dean's office.  NOTE: If you are enrolled beyond the maximum credits, you will be charged at the credit hour rate for each additinal credit hour enrolled.  Click here for detailed information on tuition rates. 


Can I withdraw below 12 credits?

Not without an appeal.  Minimum credit load for full-time status is 12 credits.  Permission to withdraw below 12 credits will only be considered for extraordinary reasons (e.g., illness or death in the family).  ALL appeals must be accompanied by appropriate documentation and submitted to the Office of Academic Advising, with all signatures, no later than the course withdrawal deadline for the semester in which the withdrawal is requested.

NOTE: Athletes and students on Academic Probation are not eligible to withdraw to below 12 credits.  


How many credits are required for graduation?

120 credits minimum is required, though some majors may require 130, with an overal average of C (2.0) and with individual grades of C- or better in ALL courses used for the major, minor, and general education course requirements.  Some departments may require a minimum cumulative GPA higher than a C (2.0).

NOTE: The minimum number of liberal arts credits within your 120 credits varies depending on your degree. 

  • 90 credits for a BA degree
  • 60 credits for a BS degree
  • 30 credits for a BFA/BMUS degree 


What are the General Education requirements?

See the General Education page for detailed information.

How do I access online Faculty/Course evaluations?

Simply log on to WebAdvisor.

  • Go to WebAdvisor Student Menu
  • Under Academic Profile, click on “Submit Faculty Evaluations”
  • Select the current term in progress from the TERM dropdown
  • Choose a course to evaluate from your course list
  • Complete Faculty Course Evaluations
  • When you are finished, click “Submit.”
  • Return to your course list and complete evaluations for the rest of your courses.

Where are class cancellations posted?

The Registrar provides a listing of class cancellations on a daily basis.