Students Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I do if something breaks in my room/bathroom/suite or my lights go out?

A: Just use this simple Maintenance Service Request Form. Please keep in mind that Maintenance is not responsible for broken furniture and/or new furniture requests. For those issues, contact your building's Resident Director, or your RA.

Q: The internet connection in my room isn't working. How should I get this fixed?
A: Just head on over to the IT Support Center.

Q: The cable connection in my room isn't working. How should I get this fixed?
A: First, try troubleshooting the problem using this information from Campus Televideo. If that doesn't work, submit a ticket using the IT Support Center

Q: What is the earliest that I can move in for the fall semester?
A: Because we want for all of the residence halls to be in top condition for opening, we ask that students arrive no earlier than the dates listed below.

  • New Incoming Students: Friday, August 22nd at 8:00am
  • Returning Students: Saturday, August 23rd at 12:00pm
  • Pre-Season Athletes: contact the Athletics Office at 914-323-7285
  • Orientation Advisors: contact Student Activities at 914-323-5154
  • New Incoming International Students (defined as any student studying in the US on a student visa): contact the Office of International Student Services at 914-323-5168
    Classes start: Monday, August 25th, 2014

Q: When does the RA go on duty in my building?
A: During the weekdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., you may contact the Office of Residence Life with any concerns. At 7p.m. the RA goes on duty and is available to help you until 9 a.m. the following morning. On the weekends, the RA is on duty from 10 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Q: What are the styles and dimensions of the residence hall rooms?
A: Manhattanville College's four residence halls offer a variety of living arrangements. The four residence halls are:

  • SPELLMAN HALL: Generally occupied by the first year students, Spellman is the largest of Manhattanville's four residence halls with 211 rooms and houses 434 students. The building is co-ed by room, i.e., two males may live next door to two females. Spellman Hall rooms range in capacity from single rooms (reserved for those students with medical conditions that necessitate a single room) to four person quads. No matter what the room capacity, each Spellman room will contain a bed with extra long twin mattresses, a desk, a chair, a closet, and a dresser for each room occupant. Most, but not all, rooms have a sink with a mirror and medicine cabinet. Spellman Hall rooms come with blinds on the windows therefore there is no need to purchase curtains. The bathrooms in the hall are communal but separated by sex.
    Typical Spellman Hall Dimensions:
    DOUBLE ROOM: 13' x 11'
    WINDOW: top of window to sill: 56"
    Top of window to floor: 84"
    Window width: 85"
    MATTRESS: 80" X 38"; standard twin sheets will fit, however, it is recommended that you buy extra long twin size sheets.
  • FOUNDERS HALL: The second largest building on campus. Founders Hall has 256 rooms and a capacity of 400 students. Rooms in Founders range in capacity from singles to four-person quads. All rooms share a bathroom with an adjoining room. Each room contains a bed with an extra long twin mattress, a desk, and a chair for each room occupant. Closets are shared by occupants. The bathrooms in Founders are fully equipped.
    Typical Founders Hall Dimensions:
    SINGLE & DOUBLE ROOMS: 9.5' x 19'
    WINDOW: top of window to sill: 56"
    Top of window to floor: 84"
    Window width: 46"
    MATTRESS: 80" X 38"; standard twin sheets will fit, however, it is recommended that you buy extra long twin size sheets.
  • DAMMANN & TENNEY HALLS - Manhattanville's suite style residence halls. Each of the three floors of these buildings house 12 suites and each building has a capacity of 205 students. The majority of the suites have living arrangements for six people including two double rooms, two single rooms, a shared living room area and a private bathroom shared between the six suite residents. Each room is furnished with a bed, a desk, a chair, a mattress, a dresser, and a closet for each room occupant. No college furniture is provided for the living room area.
    Dammann and Tenney Halls' Dimensions:
    Single: 8' x 9'
    Double: 9' x 16'
    WINDOW: top of window to sill: 72"
    Top of window to floor: 95"
    Window width: 43"
    LIVING ROOM: 12' X 9'
    WINDOW: top of window to sill: 72"
    Top of window to floor: 95"
    Window width: 115"
    MATTRESS: 80" X 38"; standard twin sheets will fit, however, it is recommended that you buy extra long twin sheets.

Q: How do I pick my room for the following academic year?
A: We have a "Room Selection" process that takes place at the end of each spring semester for the following academic year. Information on the Room Selection Process is sent out to the students during the spring semester

Q: I have a medical condition and I need a medical housing placement, what is the process for a medical room?
A: Students applying for a medical placement must submit a completed Manhattanville College Medical Room Evaluation Form (click here if you are a returning student and here if you are a new/incoming student). The form is also available in the Office of Residence Life, Founders Hall room G-5, to the Director of Residence Life.


*For all those applying for a medical placement mid-academic year, please disregard any due dates printed on the application and assume that all paperwork should be handed in as soon as possible.*

Your Medical Room Evaluation Form must be completed by a physician/licensed mental health professional explaining the medical need for a special housing placement. Medical Room Evaluation Forms will be evaluated by a committee composed of members of the Office of Residence Life, Health Center, Counseling Center, the Dean of Students, and the Vice President of Student Affairs. Individuals with approved evaluation forms will be placed in designated rooms by the above-mentioned committee. Please keep in mind the following:

  • Your medical placement may be in a double room with another individual with similar medical needs.
  • As there are only a limited number of medical spaces available only a limited number of Medical Room Evaluation Forms will be approved.
  • Failure to meet payment deadlines as indicated on billing statements from the Office of Student Accounts will result in loss of housing assignment.

Q: I have allergies and I need an air conditioner.  Do I have to provide a doctor's note?
A: Yes, the Office of Residence Life must have a letter from a physician on file before you are allowed to install an air conditioner.  Approval will be granted by the Director of Residence Life for these cases only.  If approval is granted, students are responsible for installing the air conditioner, as well as contacting the Physical Plant at 914-323-5415 to set up an appointment for the finalized installation to be inspected. Please note that students are expected to resubmit an updated note for each academic year.

Q: What do I do if I am not getting along with my roommate?
A: Adjusting to campus life may be difficult for some people, but if you learn to communicate on issues that cause disagreements, you may have an easier adjustment.

  • The first thing to do is to try talking to your roommate about your issues.
  • If that is unsuccessful, contact your Resident Advisor (RA) so that they may mediate any discussions or issues between you and your roommate.
  • If all else fails, make an appointment with your Resident Director (RD) to discuss other options.

Q: What do I do if my roommate/suitemate or his/her guests are drinking or using illegal drugs in my room?
A: You can always contact your RA or RD if your roommate/suitemates or their guests are participating in illegal activities such as drug use. You can remain anonymous if you fear any confrontation by your roommate/suitemates.

Q: How do I register overnight guests?
A: Overnight guests must first register with the Office of Campus Safety & Security upon arrival to campus. Overnight guests must also be registered with the RA on duty in your hall by 11p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 12 a.m. Friday & Saturday. Guests will not be allowed to stay if they are not registered with an RA by these times. In order for a guest to be registered they must be accompanied by a student host and must present valid photo identification. For more questions on the guest policy please refer to the Student Handbook and Code of Community Conduct.

Q: What do I do if I lose my room/suite keys?
A: Lost keys must be reported to the RD of your building immediately. The RD will order a lock-change ($200 charge will apply) and provide new keys for the student within 24 business hours. If your keys are attached to identification, it may also be a good idea to file a report with the Campus Safety office.

Q: What do I need to bring with me when I move in?
A: Don't panic! See the link for Packing List.

Q: How do I sign up for Cable?
A: All student rooms automatically receive cable in their rooms via Campus Televideo. Costs for cable are included in Tuition and Fees.

Q: What Cable channels are available?
A: A current listing of the Cable channels are here.

Q: How do I request a landline telephone?
A: You can call the IT Help Desk at 914-323-7230.

Q: Who do I contact to rent a microfridge?
A: You can contact the Refrigerator Leasing Company at 1-800-423-9220.

Q: What do I do if I need an ethernet/internet connection?
A: For computer questions, please call the Network Operations department at (914) 323-7230.

Q: How do I get my mail?
A: There is a full service Post Office located on the Ground Floor of Benziger Hall (behind the Bookstore). There you will find all student mailboxes. If you need to get a mailbox you should see one of the mail clerks.

Q: What is my mailing address on campus?
A: You mailing address would be:

Your Full Name
Manhattanville College
2900 Purchase Street
Purchase, NY 10577

Q: How do I change my meal plan?
A: For any questions on meal plans, please contact Student Accounts at (914) 323-5266.

Q: Who do I contact if there is an emergency?
A: Your first contact should be with Security or an RA. The emergency number for security is x888.

Q: How do I become a Resident Advisor (RA)?
A: The Office of Residence Life holds RA Selection each spring semester. If you are interested in participating, all you need to do is look for postings announcing RA Selection or ask your RA to contact you during selection time. Be advised that you will need to live on campus for two semester before you can apply, and that the minimum GPA requirement for RA's is 2.75.

Q: Are there on campus storage facilities available during hall closing periods?
A: There is no on-campus storage available for students during hall closing periods. Please refer to the off-campus storage link for a list of local storage facilities.

Q: Are students allowed to remain on campus during hall closing periods i.e. winter/summer?
A: Applications for housing during these periods when the residence halls are closed are distributed prior to closing. All students wishing to stay on campus during these time periods must submit a completed application to the Office of Residence Life. As housing for these closing periods are not included in students academic year housing contracts, students must pay additional weekly costs to remain on campus during these time periods.

Q: Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
A: Students may not have animals other than non-dangerous fish. Aquariums must not exceed 10 gallons in size. Pets may not visit the residence halls. Violation of this policy will result in fines and disciplinary action.

Q: I am presently a Resident but I want to become a Commuter.  How do I change my status?
A: You must contact the Office of Residence Life and petition to the Director od Residence Life to be released from your Housing Contract.

Q: I am presently a Commuter and I would like to become a Resident.  How do I change my status?
A: You must participate in the Room Selection Process to secure a room if you intend to be a resident for the upcoming school year. If you plan on changing to a resident mid-year, you should contact the Office of Residence Life to discuss housing options.

Q: I am studying abroad for a semester.  How do I get a room for the semester that I am returning?
A: You should contact the Office of Residence Life to discuss your housing options. If you are returning in the fall, you should participate in the Room Selection Process via a proxy. Students returning to campus for the spring semester should notify the Office of Residence Life in late November/early December with their intent to return to campus.

Q: I received my Damage Bill but I do not agree with some of the charges.  How do I appeal?
A: All Damage Billing appeals should be made in writing and sent to the attention of the Resident Director of the hall you lived in. If you have further questions, you should contact your Resident Director directly at his/her office number. If you are paying a bill, you should send your payment to the Office of Student Accounts.