Academics Banner

Transfer Credit

Find the transfer student category that fits your profile and click the link to view more information:

Prospective Students Continuing Students
Advanced Standing (AP, IB, CLEP) Students w/External Credits
Matriculated Graduate Students Students w/International Credits 

Forms and documents you may need:

Transfer Credit Approval Form AP Subject List
Manhattanville Course Equivalencies WebAdvisor

Prospective Students Entering Degree Programs:

Prospective transfer students are eligible to receive a maximum of 90 transfer credits. Coursework eligible for transfer must come from regionally accredited institutions, and be comparable to the liberal arts curriculum offered at Manhattanville. Transfer credit is awarded only for courses in which students earn grades of C- or higher.

1. Official college transcripts for prospective students should be sent to the Office of Admissions for processing;

2. Students will be contacted with a preliminary evaluation of their official transcripts indicating the number of credits to be awarded;

3. Upon depositing, new transfer students will be given an official transcript evaluation, including total number of transfer credits and Manhattanville course equivalencies for all credits, prior to their first semester at the College;

4. Transfer students must have specific courses approved by their department chairpersons to apply such courses to requirements in the major and/or minor.

Prospective Non-Matriculated Students (Non-Degree):

1. Non matriculated students are not required to submit college transcripts and transfer credit will not be awarded if an official transcript is received. Students may be asked to produce transcripts of previous college coursework if they are seeking to register for a Manhattanville course that requires completion of certain prerequisites.

Back to Top of Page

Advanced Standing Credit (AP, IB, CLEP, Military Credits)

New Transfer Students & Incoming Freshmen

Advanced Placement (AP): College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on their AP Coursework & AP Examination completed while in High School. Credit is awarded in all subjects for Exam scores of 4 and 5; for a complete listing of how AP credits transfer toward your Manhattanville degree, view the AP Subject List.

British General Certificates: Six semester hours of credit (for a maximum of 28 credits) for each Advanced ("A") level examination of the British General Certificate of Education for which the student received a grade of C or better.

International Baccalaureate (IB): College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on their IB Coursework. Credit is awarded for courses completed at the Higher Level with scores of 5, 6, and 7; a maximum of 18 IB credits may be awarded.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP): College credit will be awarded to incoming students based on the CLEP Exam results. Credit is awarded in accordance with the American Council on Education (ACE) recommended guidelines. A student may earn a maximum of 12 credits from the CLEP Exam, and is only eligible to earn these credits at the time of matriculation. Students seeking to earn CLEP credit after enrolling at the College will NOT be awarded credit, regardless of Exam results.

Matriculated students in the Adult Accelerated Bachelor of Science program should call (914) 323-5446 or email regarding their eligibility to earn CLEP credit.  

Military Credits: Manhattanville College will award credit for military education based on the guidelines presented by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students must present a military transcript – AARTS (Army), SMART (Navy and Marine) and CCAF (Air Force) – and credits will be awarded by the Registrar’s Office. Military coursework may be equated to equivalent Manhattanville courses, but in most cases students will be awarded general, non-liberal arts credit which can be applied to their 120-credit graduation requirement. Students should consult the appropriate department chairperson should they wish to apply military credits toward major and/or minor requirements.

College Credits Completed in High School: Incoming Freshmen who have earned college credit while enrolled in high school may have these credits transferred to Manhattanville and applied to their degree requirements. Courses must be comparable to Manhattanville offerings and either taken at an accredited institution or completed at a high school under the oversight of an accredited institution. All college coursework taken as a high school student must be recorded on an official college transcript and must carry a minimum grade of C-.

Deposited students are instructed to have all official college transcripts, AP Transcript, IB Transcripts, CLEP Transcripts, and Military Transcripts mailed to the Registrar's Office.

Back to Top of Page

Continuing Manhattanville Students

Continuing, full-time Manhattanville students may enroll in courses at other accredited institutions during the Summer or Winter terms only (special approval is necessary if students wish to take courses elsewhere in the Fall or Spring terms). Student must obtain pre-approval of courses by filling out the Transfer Credit Approval Form, aquiring the approvals of the appropriate department chairperson(s) and of the Registrar's Office. Upon completing transfer coursework, students must request an official transcript to be sent to:

Registrar's Office
Manhattanville College
2900 Purchase Street
Purchase, NY  10577 

An evaluation of official transcripts will be completed based on students' pre-approval. Credits will not be awarded if the student has not obtained pre-approval. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing of transcripts after they have been received in the Registrar's Office.

All Students with External Credits

Viewing Course Equivalencies

Students may view their transfer credits and credit by examination in WebAdvisor by selecting the Transcript button. This shows external credits among students' institutional credits earned at Manhattanville. For a specific listing of external credits accepted, students may click on Transfer Equivalencies button in Webadvisor. This screen will show all accepted credits that students have earned, along with specific Manhattanville equivalencies. Though many courses transfer to Manhattanville with a specific equivalent (i.e. SOC.1001 or HIS.1011), many courses will have a generic course equivalent. For more information on these generic courses, read this explanation of Manhattanville Course Equivalencies.

Back to Top of Page

Matriculated Graduate Students

If you have external coursework that must be evaluated as part of your graduate curriculum (either as pre-requisite, co-requisite, or transferable coursework), your official transcript(s) should be mailed to the appropriate program director.

Back to Top of Page

Credit for Course Work from International Institutions

Students who intend to transfer credits for courses taken at international institutions are required to provide evaluation reports (translated and verified with grade equivalencies) from agencies that prepare Foreign Academic Credential Evaluations (FACES). The evaluation must examine and equate all course work on a "course-by-course" basis and include grading equivalents to US colleges. Evaluators charge to have an evaluation prepared. Below are five suggested evaluators:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.

Evaluation Service, Inc. 

Global Credential Evaluators (GCE)

Josef Silny & Associates

World Education Services (WES)

For more details on the foreign credit evaluation process, please visit