One-hundred-thirty credits required. A grade of at least C is required for credit towards the Music Major, except in the Senior Seminar course, which requires a minimum grade of C.
All students pursuing a B.Mus. in Music Education must have a minimum of 30 liberal arts credits. Note: Courses followed by two asterisks do not receive credit as liberal arts.
Required music courses as follows:
- MUT 1031,1033, 2041, 2043: Music Theory I, II, III, IV
- MUT 1032, 1034, 2042, 2044: Keyboard Harmony I, II, III, IV
- MUT 1040,1041, 2021, 3021: Ear Training I, II, III, IV
- MUH 2011 or 2012 Survey of Western Music I or II
- MUH 3--- Music History Elective
- MUA Electives
- MUH 3997 Music Senior Seminar
Applied Music courses including:
- 6 credits of either large or small ensemble and
- 4 semesters of one-hour lessons on the primary instrument and
- 2 credits of piano study (replaced by music department electives if piano is the major instrument)
Fifteen required education-related courses as follows:
- EDU 2000: Fundamentals of Schools and Teaching**
- PSY 2001: Developmental Psychology: Birth through Late Childhood
- PSY 2002: Developmental Psychology: Early through Late Adolescence
- EDU 2010: Educating Learners with Diverse Needs**
- Two of the following three Literacy courses:
- EDU 3367: Methods for Teaching Literacy and Language Arts I**
- EDU 3278: Literacy in the Content Areas**
- EDU 3370: Aesthetic Literacy**
- All of the following Music Education courses and Student Teaching:
- MUE 2067-2070: Instrumental Rudiments I, II, III, IV**
- MUE 2085: Piano for the Classroom Teacher**
- MUE 2090-2091: Choral and Instrumental Conducting**
- MUE 3054: Methods for Early Childhood/Childhood Music**
- MUE 3057: Methods for Middle Childhood/Adolescent Music**
- EDU 3387: Student Teaching and Seminar: Music Education*
Thirty-one credits in non-music courses, including distribution and other electives, required for NY State Certification (must be completed before graduation).
Courses must include:
- A course in Literature (3 credits)
- A course in Science (3 credits)
- A course in Mathematics (3 credits)
- One year of the equivalent of coursework in a language other than English
- Passing score on NY State test LAST
Other requirements for NY State Certification (must be completed before graduation):
- Passing score on NY State test AST-W
- Child Abuse Seminar (student teaching semester)
- Violence Prevention Seminar (student teaching semester)
The following required courses listed below meet NY State requirements, if taken at Manhattanville:
- MUT 1040-1041: Ear Training for a course in Communications
- MUH 3011: Music of the Twentieth Century for a course in History
- MUH 2012: Survey of Western Music II for a course in Written Analysis and Expression
Ensemble Requirements for B.A. and B.Mus.
The Bachelor of Music degree program in Music Education requires participation in either large or small ensembles for six semesters, and participation in student recitals at least twice a year.
Senior Evaluation for B.A. and B.Mus.
For all Bachelor of Arts music candidates: MUH 3997- 3998: Music Senior Seminar and Senior Projects; for Music Education candidates: supervised teaching experience and MUH 3997: Music Senior Seminar. All music candidates, with the exception of Music Management candidates, are required to present a recital on their major instrument or voice. A grade of C constitutes the minimum standard for each part of a successful senior evaluation.