2014 - 2015 Entrance Audition Dates and Requirements for Prospective Instrumentalists, Vocalists and Musical Theatre Students
Dance/Theatre students will audition with the Dance/Theatre Department
TIME: Graduate at 11:00 a.m.—Undergraduate at 1:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Manhattanville College Music Department
FALL: Thursday, August 21, 2014—GRADUATE ONLY
(Form must be received by Thursday, July 24.)
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
SPRING: Thursday, January 15, 2015—GRADUATE ONLY
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Wednesday, April 8, 2015
UNDERGRADUATE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed application for admission to Manhattanville College.
- A short, written music theory placement examination.
- The performance of three compositions from different periods of music performed on the major performing medium. Pianists and vocalists must perform at least one work from memory. Musical Theatre applicants should perform at least one work from a classical tradition; the other two pieces should come from different productions. Musical Theatre applicants should bring a performance resume to the audition. Music Technology applicants may audition on an instrument or voice or applicants may audition with a music technology CD and accompanying description page. The CD should include two or three tracks of audio which the applicant has created, either recordings of music or a bounced file from a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) session (Garage Band, Fruity Loops, Acid, Reason, Live, Logic, ProTools, etc.). The written page should include how the applicant was involved with creation of the tracks, as well as any additional information about the student’s involvement with music and music technology.
- A Music Entrance Audition Form listing the compositions to be performed at the audition must be submitted to the Music Department at least two weeks before the audition date.
- An accompanist will be provided for vocalists only.
Please note: All CD/DVD submissions must be accompanied by a CD/DVD submission form.
GRADUATE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed application for admission to the MAT in Music degree program at Manhattanville College.
- A one-hour written music theory examination (including analysis, figured bass realization, and general fundamentals).
- A one-hour written music history and literature examination covering significant musical developments, compositions, and key figures from the Renaissance to the Present.
- The performance of three compositions from different periods of music performed on the major performing medium.
- A test of sight-reading skills at the piano.
- A test of sight-singing skills.
- A test of skills involving the harmonization of a melody at the piano.