Academics Banner

Archives

Dedication of the Kennedy Gymnasium and Spellman DormitoryThe Manhattanville College Archives preserves historical records of the college, which was founded as the Academy of the Sacred Heart in New York City in 1841 and chartered as a college by New York state in 1917. The archives document the history of the academy and college in the Manhattanville neighborhood of New York City through the 1940s, as well as the move to Purchase in 1952 and creation of a new campus.

The collection, organized into record groups, includes documents, office files, scrapbooks, news clippings, photographs and negatives, college publications, and artifacts.

Highlights are records of Manhattanville's renowned Pius X School of Liturgical Music (1918 - 1969) and materials on the Westchester County estate of Whitelaw Reid, which became home to the college.