The ELI is now on Facebook!
View the current Part Time Catalog here:
Please note a change in the PT Catalog:
ELI 2323 Business English class
time is changed to 9:30 am - 10:55 am
*** NEW BUSINESS ENGLISH CLASS ADDED ***
ELI 2333: Business English: First Impressions
Opening the Door to Success!
What is the first thing you notice when you meet someone for the first time?...- Is it their appearance? Their body language? The expression on their face? The way they speak? How does that first impression affect what you think of them, or the way you will interact with them going forward? In this interactive class, you will learn how these, and other, key elements combine to create a first, and often lasting, positive or negative impression. Gain a competitive advantage in business and personal life by discussing and practicing the verbal and non-verbal behaviors that create a positive impression from the first “hello” to the interview to the “welcome to the company” conversation.
Different Material is Covered Each Session
Levels: 7,8, or 9
Sec. I Wednesday 9:30am - 12:30pm
ELI 2333 Fall I Sept 3 - Oct 15 - $165
ELI 2333 Fall II Oct 22 - Dec 3 - $165
*No class on November 26
Important Information for Au Pairs
Welcome to Manhattanville College's English Language Institute. At the English Language Institute we offer both General and Intensive courses which meet the educational requirements of Au Pairs with J-1 visas.
ELI programs are currently divided into Intensive and General Classes.
Intensive classes compared to General classes:
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is academically oriented, offering multiple proficiency levels for each course as determined by an assessment administered at the ELI. The maximum number of students in a class is smaller, quizzes & exams are routine, homework is assigned, and letter grades are given.
The General program courses (all non IEP courses) are offered for a specific level of proficiency noted under each course description. Students are encouraged to take the Placement Test in the Part-Time Catalog which will guide them in registering for the appropriate course level. The maximum number of students in a class is larger than in IEP classes. Although students are expected to complete assigned homework, and reviews or quizzes may be administered, General courses are graded "Pass" or "Fail".
Throughout the year, all of our NON-INTENSIVE, General classes are worth 20 hours per session toward the required educational requirements for a J-1 visa. Weekend courses may be taken for 40 hours or 20 hours non-academic credit. Hours for INTENSIVE courses vary; refer to the "Important Information for Au Pairs" page in the ELI Part-Time Catalog for information about specific INTENSIVE courses.
80 Hours = 6 non-academic Credits; 40 Hours = 3 non-academic Credits;
20 Hours = 1.5 non-academic Credits
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR AU PAIR AGENCY FOR EXACT INFORMATION ABOUT REQUIRED HOURS & CREDITS
Please browse through the links in the upper right corner for more Au Pair and ELI information.
Get the answers to Frequently Asked Questions here!
Fall I 2014 dates:
- Fall I registration begins Wednesday, August 13
- Early bird registration fee of $20 until 4pm on Friday, August 29
- Regular registration fee of $50 for all registrations received after August 29
- Fall I Intensive (IEP) placement test - Tuesday, September 2 - 9:30am
- Fall I Wednesday-only General classes begin Wednesday, September 3
- Fall I Monday/Thursday and Tuesday/Thursday General classes begin Thursday, September 4
- Fall I Tuesday/Friday General and Intensive classes begin Friday, September 5
- Fall I Monday/Wednesday/Thursday Intensive classes begin Monday, September 8
- Fall I session ends Sunday, October 19
Fall II 2014 dates:
- Fall II registration begins Wednesday, September 24
- Early bird registration fee of $20 until 4pm on Friday, October 10
- Regular registration fee of $50 for all registrations received after October 10
- Fall II Intensive (IEP) placement test - Wednesday, October 15 - 9:30am
- Fall II General and Intensive classes begin Monday, October 20
- Fall II session ends Sunday, December 7