Page 5 of 5
May 6, 2014
Position: Mathematics and Tutoring Coordinator
Department: Academic Resource Center (ARC)
The Academic Resource Center (ARC) at Manhattanville College is seeking a Mathematics and Tutoring Coordinator. The Coordinator will plan, direct, and coordinate programs to enhance student achievement in the fields of mathematics and other disciplines, through a variety of support services including individual and group tutoring led by the Coordinator as well as by professional and peer tutors. In addition, the coordinator will facilitate a variety of support services including individual and group tutoring and supplemental instruction across all disciplines. The coordinator will be responsible for hiring, training, and supervising the professional and student staff. The coordinator reports directly to the Director of the Academic Resource Center.
- Conduct individual and group mathematics tutoring sessions.
- Work with the Mathematics/Computer Science Department in developing campus improvement in mathematics and computer science by staying abreast of curriculum changes and implementation of new technology.
- Develop and review ongoing assessment of services in order to analyze and ensure success of students receiving services.
- Coordinate with the Mathematics Department in order to monitor grades of students taking Mathematics for the Liberal Arts, Precalculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II, and provide outreach to at-risk students.
- Visit all sections of Mathematics for the Liberal Arts, Introduction to College Mathematics, Calculus I and Calculus II to present services provided by the ARC.
- Develop and present workshops in mathematics to improve and support retention in mathematics courses.
- Provide support to students needing assistance with computer-symbolic mathematics program (wxMaxima) required for assignments.
- Establish and maintain campus-wide relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Actively serve/participate in professional development to keep up-to-date with information in the field and disseminate information to professional and student staff.
- Plan and coordinate programs to better serve students in coordination with the ARC Director.
- Recruit, train, develop and evaluate professional and student staff (Supplemental Instructors and Peer Tutors) in mathematics and computer science.
- Recruit, train, develop and evaluate Supplemental Instructors and Peer Tutors;
- Develop and review ongoing assessment of services in order to analyze and ensure success of students receiving services;
- Track peer tutoring assignments by way of follow-up on tutor requests;
- Data input of Supplemental Instructors and Peer Tutoring hours into ARC spreadsheet;
- Check and monitor Supplemental Instructors and Peer Tutors logs to approve time sheets;
- Establish and maintain campus-wide relationships with students, faculty and staff;
- Attend CAS staff meetings;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Master's Degree required in Mathematics and/or Math Education
- Minimum of 2 years as an instructor or tutor
- Teaching and tutoring skills
- Knowledge of statistical and research methods
- Experience in conducting workshops on skills related to math, math anxiety, and test taking
- Computer skills: wxMaxima, Blackboard, Moodle, Microsoft Word, Excel
- Excellent communication (written and oral), organizational, coaching, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills with students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to work in a group and independently
For consideration, submit a cover letter, a resume, and names of three references to email@example.com.