Page 5 of 5
September 2, 2014
Position: Founder's Hall Resident Director
Department: Residence Life
Residence Life at Manhattanville College is seeking a Resident Director. He/She will oversee the management of a 400-bed, corridor style residence hall, and the development of programs, activities, and policies to improve the overall community within the area. Supervise, develop, and evaluate nine Resident Advisors. Act as a conduct hearing officer in adjudicating policy violations. This is a 12-month, full time, live-in position with on-duty responsibilities and requires regular evening and weekend hours. The primary goal of this position is to establish a residential community that is conducive to the academic and non-academic development of students.
- Supervise RAs and evaluate their performance on an on-going informal basis, and through written performance appraisals.
- Hold regular individual and staff meetings to discuss on-going progress and concerns in the hall.
- Assist in planning and implementing programs and staff development opportunities for RA staff.
- Supervise, support, and attend activities sponsored by the RA staff.
- Assist in RA recruitment, selection, and placement.
- Support and attend all orientation, training and in-service programs
Student Development Responsibilities
- Develop a rapport with and knowledge of residents in building.
- Provide opportunities for personal and educational growth and development.
- Be aware of residents' personal, disciplinary, and academic problems; counsel and refer where appropriate; document and follow-up.
- Participate in regular building meetings as needed.
- Encourage and educate students to be responsible for their own safety and security, and be respectful of the rights of to others and the residence facility.
- Respond to policy violations.
- Support student participation in Residence Hall Association and co-curricular activities.
Facilities & Operations Responsibilities
- Assume responsibility for the maintenance of residence hall facilities in cooperation with Physical Plant.
- Maintain accurate records including room condition reports, maintenance requests, furniture inventories, supplies, etc.
- Handle distribution, collection, and inventory of keys.
- Work closely with Physical Plant to handle maintenance requests.
- Conduct Health & Safety Inspections and pre-opening/closing room checks to assess damage/repair and follow through with student billing process, maintenance requests, and documentation.
- Assist with all openings and closings of the residence hall; including the beginning and end of each semester and all vacation periods.
- Participate in the room selection process.
Conduct & Administrative Responsibilities
- Serve as a primary conduct hearing office for resident incidents and policy violations.
- Assist in the creation, implementation, & enforcement of departmental and College policies and procedures.
- Plan and participate in professional and staff development activities and meetings.
- Create and coordinate divisional/ departmental programs and projects as assigned.
- Oversee building and/or committee budgets as allocated by Director/Assistant Director of Residence Life
- Respond to student needs and emergency situations as part of Resident Director on-duty rotation.
- Active participation in departmental and campus committees.
- Assess the progress made within the community through an end of the semester report, this includes programming, student conduct, and other office initiatives.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
- Advise the Resident Advisor Motivation Squad (RAMS).
- Coordinate and supervise residential facility maintenance needs throughout the year with the support of two student maintenance workers.
- Inventory furniture and propose new purchases to the Assistant Director of Residence Life.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Director of Residence Life on execution and implementation of room selection.
- Serve as the liaison for all groups and organizations that utilize the residence halls during the summer months.
- Coordinate live-in summer conference groups (roughly 12) and their use of the Residence Halls.
- Hire, train, and supervise summer student maintenance and conference staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director / Assistant Director of Residence Life.
Master's degree or full time professional experience in residential life is required. Previous supervisory experience and experience managing student conduct issues and a demonstrated understanding of issues facing college students are preferred. The RD must be a team player and be willing to work with students, faculty and staff. The RD must possess the ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. The RD must have a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and success in creating inclusive communities. The RD must have experience with and knowledge of student leadership. The RD must be able to solve problems and handle multiple tasks and priorities. The RD must have good planning, administrative, organizational, supervisory, and budget-management skills. The RD must be able to work independently and make complex decisions based on knowledge of departmental and College policies and procedures. Excellent written and oral communication skills and a sense of humor are a must. Candidates must hold a valid driver's license.
For consideration, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.