Page 2 of 5
October 15, 2014
Position: Graduate Assistant
Department: Student Activities
The Student Activities Office at Manhattanville College is seeking a Graduate Assistant. The Graduate Assistant is supervised by the Programming Coordinator for Student Activities. He/She works closely with the office professional staff by aiding in providing well-rounded co-curricular programs and activities campus wide. He/She is responsible for a variety of projects related to Student Involvement, Intramurals and Leadership Development for the Office of Student Activities. The expected amount of work hours will range from 25 hours per week with a large portion geared towards weekend coverage. Hours are to be agreed upon between the Graduate Assistant and the Programming Coordinator. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday between 9 AM and 6 PM to include weekend coverage of events. Graduate Assistant would need to be very flexible regarding weekend coverage as the times and days will vary based on the events/needs. Summer responsibilities are a required part of this position and will be established in consultation with the Programming Coordinator.
- Work closely with the Programming Coordinator for Student Activities to implement and assess campus wide programming and encourage/advise student organizations in planning, implementing, and assessing programs to meet these goals.
- Develop an intramural program that includes planning, scheduling, implementing and assessing a wide range of leagues, competitions and events for Mville students and the campus community. This includes: recruitment, hiring, training and evaluation of student workers, coordination of facilities, planning a comprehensive program not to exclude any student with the desire to participate, and promoting events to campus using flyers, emails, social media, and website development.
- Assist with Student Activities functions such as Orientation, Club Fair, Fall Fest, Quad Jam, Club Calendar Planning Meeting and Leadership activities, etc.
- Attend Office of Student Activities staff meetings, weekly one-on-one meetings, training sessions, and all appropriate retreats, workshops, or seminars assigned by the Office of Student Activities.
- Update department's website, monitor and post to social media sites, the digital board and create office newsletter.
- Provide coverage for intramurals/weekend events, assist students with needs and concerns regarding events.
- Collect data and mange statistics of events.
- Participate as department and division team member.
- Assume any other responsibilities assigned by the Programming Coordinator or Associate Director of Student Activities.
- A stipend of $4000 ($2000 each semester) and payment for tuition credits for two (3) credit courses for the academic year (fall, winter intersession and spring).
- Applicants must be a matriculated graduated student at Manhattanville College. Students enrolled in graduate programs at other institutions are encouraged to apply but will not receive payment for tuition credits.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Have an understanding of student club/organization events, campus programming and Intramural Sports.
- Experience in a leadership position in student activities, campus programming and sports management is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to organize a continuous flow of work in a timely manner and meet mandatory guidelines.
- Ability to independently manage a variety of tasks with frequent interruptions and shifting priorities
- Candidate must have supervisory experience and professional skills necessary to supervise student staff.
- Problem solving skills sufficient to analyze information and/or situations to come to appropriate conclusions and consistently incorporate sound judgment and decision making skills to offer appropriate options and resolutions.
- Be a supportive team member in a diverse environment.
- Have excellent computer skills.
For consideration, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.