Faculty And Staff Banner

Q & A - For Managers
Article Index
Q & A
For Managers
For Employees
All Pages


How do I fill a vacancy?

Once a position is vacant, an Employee Requisition form is to be completed by the hiring manager and signed by all the parties identified on the form. An up-to-date job description should be attached and an electronic copy sent to Human Resources for advertising. Resumes received will be sent directly to the hiring manager via email.

I have hired a new employee – now what do I do?

A new hire form must be completed and signed by all necessary parties. Once signed, Human Resources will send an offer letter for all full-time employees. The new employee or direct supervisor will contact Human Resources to schedule an on-boarding meeting.

Are performance reviews mandatory and if so, when, how often?

Performance reviews are mandatory for all full-time, non-teaching staff and should be done annually. A completed copy must be forwarded to Human Resources for filing.

How do I address an attendance, tardiness or performance issue with an employee?

The manager should speak directly to the employee regarding the issue(s). The conversation should be documented which includes date/time/reaction from employee. Human Resources should be notified and will intervene if the employee does not rectify the issue. A Reprimand Letter outlining issue(s) will be given to employee.

How do I handle a difficult employee?

When an employee's performance and/or misconduct interfere with the operation of a College department, corrective action must be taken. Employees should be warned about misconduct, negligence, insubordination, poor work habits (attendance/tardiness) and other performance issues. Employees should understand what changed behavior is expected of them and must be made aware of the consequences of non-corrective conduct.

Depending on the seriousness of the offense, performance or misconduct, corrective action, may include, verbal warning (with a note to file of the meeting(s)); written reprimand; last chance warning; and termination. In the event of a serious infraction, a fast-track approach may be taken that could include suspension without pay or immediate termination.

Human Resources should always be informed and involved in disciplinary matters.

On what basis do I approve tuition remission?

Educational assistance is a benefit only to the extent that it does not negatively impact or conflict with an employee's job requirements or work schedule. Prior to registering, employees requesting tuition remission must share their study plans and have prior approval from their manager and then, Human Resources. Employees register first and then complete a tuition remission application form. Completed forms along with the registration statement should be submitted to Human Resources for processing.

How do I notify HR about a resignation?

The manager should immediately notify Human Resources of impending departure. A completed End of Employment form along with resignation letter should be forwarded to Human Resources.