Faculty And Staff Banner

Q & A - Benefits
Article Index
Q & A
For Managers
For Employees
All Pages

I am a new employee. When is the effective date for my medical, dental and vision coverage?

If chosen, medical, vision and dental coverage will become effective the first day of the month following the date of employment. Should the first day of employment be the first of the month, benefits are effective on that day. There are 5 options for medical which include 4 HMO plans and 1 POS plan, 1 vision and 1 dental plan. There are monthly employee payroll contributions to these plans, the amounts of which vary depending upon which option is chosen.

When can I update my medical, dental and vision coverage?

Your initial "open enrollment" period is for 31 days following your date of employment. Once benefits have been elected, you may make changes once a year at the annual "open enrollment" announced each year (usually November and December) for changes effective January 1. Non open enrollment changes may only be made as a result of a qualifying life event (i.e. marriage, divorce, birth of a child, loss of other insurance etc.).

Does the College offer Flexible Spending Accounts?

FT Employees may elect to join a Health Care or Dependent Care Spending Account. These accounts allow pre-tax money to be allocated for either out-of-pocket health-related expenses or dependent care expenses for children or elders. This election is made on a calendar year basis. The current maximum for a Health Care Flex Spending Account is $2500 and for a Dependent Care Flex Spending Account is $5000 per family. Flex spending amounts must be elected for each year.

How do I enroll in the College Retirement Plan?

You may participate in the College's 403(b) plan through TIAA-CREF. This consists of two components:

• A Retirement Annuity to which the college contributes 7.5% of your gross annual salary if you contribute 2.5% of your gross annual salary. You may participate in this plan after a year of employment (or immediately with proof of prior TIAA-CREF eligibility through a participating employer). Employees should call Human Resources for a TIAA-CREF packet at this time.

• A Supplemental Retirement Annuity to which you may begin contributing immediately.

Similar to a 401(k), this plan gives you the opportunity to allocate dollars in a variety of investment vehicles that are administered by TIAA-CREF. If you do not allocate your dollars in specific investment options, TIAA CREF will enroll you in their Qualified Default Investment Alternative. This Investment Alternative will allocate your funds based on recommended best practices. Your age and years of work before retirement are taken into consideration to determine your investment mix.

Enrollment in TIAA CREF consists of two steps: enrolling with TIAA CREF online (see the link on our website), and completing a salary reduction agreement to be returned to HR (also available on our website)

Do I have Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Long-Term Disability coverage?

All full-time employees receive Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance equal to 1½ times their annual salary (to a benefit maximum of $100,000) and Long Term Disability Insurance that provides for 60% of monthly salary (to a benefit maximum of $5,000 per month). This is fully paid for by the college.

Is there Additional Life Insurance coverage available that an employee can purchase?

Supplemental Life Insurance is available to you and your spouse through the same carrier with an additional cost. Please contact Human Resources if you would like additional information.

What is the Employee Assistant Program (EAP)?

Enrollment in a confidential Employee Assistance Program, which provides counseling and referral services, is effective as of the employee's date of hire and provided through Higher Ed EAP. Employees and their families may utilize the benefit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is fully paid for by the college.

Is the College Associated with a local Bank or Federal Credit Union?

Empower is a full-service financial institution that provides savings, loan, and transaction services to its members. This is a voluntary benefit.

Credit Unions are unique because unlike other financial institutions, Credit Unions are owned and run by its members. Both the Board of Directors and the Supervisory Committee are made up of members ensuring that member service is a priority. Because they serve only their members, all net earnings after expenses are paid out in dividends. That equals faster growing savings for you.

Services that Empower FCU offers:

• Savings (share savings, club accounts, money market, trust accounts, etc.)

• Loans (vehicle loans, mortgages, home equity, personal loans, etc.)

• Card Services (VISA debit, VISA credit, ATM, VISA Gift)

• Account Access (online banking, mobile banking, e-phone, ATMs, etc.)

• Checking (share draft, direct deposit, reorder checks online, etc.)

Does the College offer tuition remission for employees and their dependents?

Tuition Remission is extended to eligible employees, their spouses/domestic partners and dependent children. Within the first year of employment, a partial benefit is available. After one year of employment, employees may take up to 9 credits of graduate coursework per semester and/or unlimited undergraduate classes tuition-free. It is important to bear in mind that the IRS considers the value of graduate tuition remission to be taxable income. Please see our tuition remission policy on our website for more detailed information.

Do we offer a Tuition Exchange Program?

The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) and the Tuition Exchange Program is a network of CIC colleges and universities willing to accept, tuition-free, students from families of full-time employees of other CIC-TEP institutions. Each participating institution in the network agrees to import a limited number of students on the same admission basis as they accept all other students, without regard to the number of students it exports. Employees may take advantage of this benefit (either program) according to the regulations of the individual program. Students must be admitted to the member college or university prior to applying for this benefit. Acceptance into this program is not guaranteed and is based on a number of factors.