Faculty And Staff Banner

Q & A
Article Index
Q & A
For Managers
For Employees
All Pages

I am a new employee. When is the effective date for my medical, dental and vision coverage?

If chosen, medical, vision and dental coverage will become effective the first day of the month following the date of employment. Should the first day of employment be the first of the month, benefits are effective on that day. There are 5 options for medical which include 4 HMO plans and 1 POS plan, 1 vision and 1 dental plan. There are monthly employee payroll contributions to these plans, the amounts of which vary depending upon which option is chosen.

When can I update my medical, dental and vision coverage?

Your initial "open enrollment" period is for 31 days following your date of employment. Once benefits have been elected, you may make changes once a year at the annual "open enrollment" announced each year (usually November and December) for changes effective January 1. Non open enrollment changes may only be made as a result of a qualifying life event (i.e. marriage, divorce, birth of a child, loss of other insurance etc.).

Does the College offer Flexible Spending Accounts?

FT Employees may elect to join a Health Care or Dependent Care Spending Account. These accounts allow pre-tax money to be allocated for either out-of-pocket health-related expenses or dependent care expenses for children or elders. This election is made on a calendar year basis. The current maximum for a Health Care Flex Spending Account is $2500 and for a Dependent Care Flex Spending Account is $5000 per family. Flex spending amounts must be elected for each year.

How do I enroll in the College Retirement Plan?

You may participate in the College's 403(b) plan through TIAA-CREF. This consists of two components:

• A Retirement Annuity to which the college contributes 7.5% of your gross annual salary if you contribute 2.5% of your gross annual salary. You may participate in this plan after a year of employment (or immediately with proof of prior TIAA-CREF eligibility through a participating employer). Employees should call Human Resources for a TIAA-CREF packet at this time.

• A Supplemental Retirement Annuity to which you may begin contributing immediately.

Similar to a 401(k), this plan gives you the opportunity to allocate dollars in a variety of investment vehicles that are administered by TIAA-CREF. If you do not allocate your dollars in specific investment options, TIAA CREF will enroll you in their Qualified Default Investment Alternative. This Investment Alternative will allocate your funds based on recommended best practices. Your age and years of work before retirement are taken into consideration to determine your investment mix.

Enrollment in TIAA CREF consists of two steps: enrolling with TIAA CREF online (see the link on our website), and completing a salary reduction agreement to be returned to HR (also available on our website)

Do I have Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Long-Term Disability coverage?

All full-time employees receive Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance equal to 1½ times their annual salary (to a benefit maximum of $100,000) and Long Term Disability Insurance that provides for 60% of monthly salary (to a benefit maximum of $5,000 per month). This is fully paid for by the college.

Is there Additional Life Insurance coverage available that an employee can purchase?

Supplemental Life Insurance is available to you and your spouse through the same carrier with an additional cost. Please contact Human Resources if you would like additional information.

What is the Employee Assistant Program (EAP)?

Enrollment in a confidential Employee Assistance Program, which provides counseling and referral services, is effective as of the employee's date of hire and provided through Higher Ed EAP. Employees and their families may utilize the benefit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is fully paid for by the college.

Is the College Associated with a local Bank or Federal Credit Union?

Empower is a full-service financial institution that provides savings, loan, and transaction services to its members. This is a voluntary benefit.

Credit Unions are unique because unlike other financial institutions, Credit Unions are owned and run by its members. Both the Board of Directors and the Supervisory Committee are made up of members ensuring that member service is a priority. Because they serve only their members, all net earnings after expenses are paid out in dividends. That equals faster growing savings for you.

Services that Empower FCU offers:

• Savings (share savings, club accounts, money market, trust accounts, etc.)

• Loans (vehicle loans, mortgages, home equity, personal loans, etc.)

• Card Services (VISA debit, VISA credit, ATM, VISA Gift)

• Account Access (online banking, mobile banking, e-phone, ATMs, etc.)

• Checking (share draft, direct deposit, reorder checks online, etc.)

Does the College offer tuition remission for employees and their dependents?

Tuition Remission is extended to eligible employees, their spouses/domestic partners and dependent children. Within the first year of employment, a partial benefit is available. After one year of employment, employees may take up to 9 credits of graduate coursework per semester and/or unlimited undergraduate classes tuition-free. It is important to bear in mind that the IRS considers the value of graduate tuition remission to be taxable income. Please see our tuition remission policy on our website for more detailed information.

Do we offer a Tuition Exchange Program?

The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) and the Tuition Exchange Program is a network of CIC colleges and universities willing to accept, tuition-free, students from families of full-time employees of other CIC-TEP institutions. Each participating institution in the network agrees to import a limited number of students on the same admission basis as they accept all other students, without regard to the number of students it exports. Employees may take advantage of this benefit (either program) according to the regulations of the individual program. Students must be admitted to the member college or university prior to applying for this benefit. Acceptance into this program is not guaranteed and is based on a number of factors.


How do I fill a vacancy?

Once a position is vacant, an Employee Requisition form is to be completed by the hiring manager and signed by all the parties identified on the form. An up-to-date job description should be attached and an electronic copy sent to Human Resources for advertising. Resumes received will be sent directly to the hiring manager via email.

I have hired a new employee – now what do I do?

A new hire form must be completed and signed by all necessary parties. Once signed, Human Resources will send an offer letter for all full-time employees. The new employee or direct supervisor will contact Human Resources to schedule an on-boarding meeting.

Are performance reviews mandatory and if so, when, how often?

Performance reviews are mandatory for all full-time, non-teaching staff and should be done annually. A completed copy must be forwarded to Human Resources for filing.

How do I address an attendance, tardiness or performance issue with an employee?

The manager should speak directly to the employee regarding the issue(s). The conversation should be documented which includes date/time/reaction from employee. Human Resources should be notified and will intervene if the employee does not rectify the issue. A Reprimand Letter outlining issue(s) will be given to employee.

How do I handle a difficult employee?

When an employee's performance and/or misconduct interfere with the operation of a College department, corrective action must be taken. Employees should be warned about misconduct, negligence, insubordination, poor work habits (attendance/tardiness) and other performance issues. Employees should understand what changed behavior is expected of them and must be made aware of the consequences of non-corrective conduct.

Depending on the seriousness of the offense, performance or misconduct, corrective action, may include, verbal warning (with a note to file of the meeting(s)); written reprimand; last chance warning; and termination. In the event of a serious infraction, a fast-track approach may be taken that could include suspension without pay or immediate termination.

Human Resources should always be informed and involved in disciplinary matters.

On what basis do I approve tuition remission?

Educational assistance is a benefit only to the extent that it does not negatively impact or conflict with an employee's job requirements or work schedule. Prior to registering, employees requesting tuition remission must share their study plans and have prior approval from their manager and then, Human Resources. Employees register first and then complete a tuition remission application form. Completed forms along with the registration statement should be submitted to Human Resources for processing.

How do I notify HR about a resignation?

The manager should immediately notify Human Resources of impending departure. A completed End of Employment form along with resignation letter should be forwarded to Human Resources.

How do I go about resolving a dispute/workplace issue?

Manager and staff have an obligation to make every effort to resolve problems as they arise. If a manager is unable to resolve a problem in a manner that is timely and seems fair, the employee may seek a review at sequentially higher levels through-out the chain of authority within the College. Please contact Human Resources for further information.

How do I report an on-the-job injury?

Any job related injury or illness must be immediately reported to the supervisor and to Human Resources. HR will submit a claim to the College's Workers' Compensation insurance carrier on behalf of the employee.

How do I request vacation and personal leave?

If the leave is no more than two days in duration, all employees are encouraged to request vacation and personal leave a minimum of two days prior to the desired time off. If the leave time totals more than two days, employees are encouraged to submit their request two weeks prior to the desired leave time. All requests must be approved by your immediate supervisor(s).

How do I handle an observation or complaint of harassment?

Manhattanville College is committed to maintaining a learning, living and work environment free of sexual or other harassment. The College has zero tolerance of any type of harassment of or by its employees. If an individual believes that someone has violated this policy, the individual should bring matter to the immediate attention to the director supervisor or department Vice President, and the attention of the Director of Human Resources.

How do I apply for tuition remission?

Refer to the policy in the Employee Handbook to determine your and/or dependent eligibility. Tuition Remission application can be obtained on the Human Resources website. Follow the instructions on the application, including approval for courses offered during working hours. Register for the course(s) and forward a tuition remission application along with a student bill or registration statement to Human Resources.

How do I find my pay advices?

Sign on to web-advisor as an employee and follow the link to compensation to pay advises. The annual summary of compensation is always current and very useful.

How do I figure out how many vacation/sick/personal days I have?

Check the leave plan section of your web advisor account.