School of Education Banner


How do I apply for New York State Certification?

For degree and/or program completers who have met all requirements for an initial certificate, the School of Education will submit a recommendation after graduation to NYSED on the student's behalf. Degree and/or program completers seeking professional certification in the area of the degree or program are also eligible for college recommendation; such students must notify the Certification Officer in the School of Education.

After the school has electronically recommended you for intial certification, the student must apply for certification online at and pay the required fee.

Graduation or program completion does not automatically entail that the college will recommend a student for certification. The college reserves the right to withhold recommendation at its discretion.