For information regarding important changes to teacher certification and EdTPA requirements, click here.
Important Changes to NYS Certification-Updated
July 16, 2014
1. Students who have not yet graduated OR who graduated in MAY 2014 or earlier but who have not completed all pre-requisites for certification or who have not applied for certification or who did not pass ALL NY State certification exams before May 1,2014 must take the NEW New York EXAMS.
- Academic Language Skills Test (ALST)
- Educating All Students Test (EAS)
- Content Specialty Tests (one for each certification area) (CST)
AND MUST SUBMIT the “edTPA” performance assessment.
2) EDTPA “SAFETY NET”
If you fail the edTPA before June 30, 2015, and choose not to re-submit, you may take the Assessment of Teaching Skills test (ATS-W) at the relevant level (Childhood or Secondary). If you passed the ATS-W BEFORE April 30, 2014, you will not have to take it again.
Such students may request a test voucher code to take the ATS-W at no cost to the candidate. To apply for a voucher code for the ATS-W, please send an email with your (i) Name as it appears in your TEACH account, (ii) last five digits of your Social Security Number, (iii) Date of Birth, and (iv) your current Email Address to firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com with a short statement that a test voucher code is requested.
You will receive a test voucher code in an email to use when registering for the ATS-W. You must have already failed the edTPA.
3) IF YOU WERE ALREADY CERTIFIED BEFORE MAY 1, 2014, you will NOT need to submit the edTPA and you will NOT need to complete the ALST or EAS Tests. You will need to take the CST(s) for your new area. An Internship certificate is not considered certified.
4) As of AUGUST 21, 2014, almost all Content Specialty Tests will only be available in NEW versions. BEFORE THAT TIME, you may take EITHER the current OR the revised version. For Students With Disabilities GRADES 7-12 Generalist, you must pass the new CST (even if you have already passed the current version). Also, beginning August 21, for the Content Specialty Test—Multi-subject, for Early Childhood, Childhood and Special Education, you must pass all individual sections of the test (ELA, MATH, General Knowledge).
Test preparation guides are now available on www.nystce.nesinc.com
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT NOTES
If you already hold a valid New York State initial or professional certificate, you will not be required to complete the edTPA, as far as we are aware of at this time.
Candidates for School Building Leader, after May 1, 2014, must successfully complete the new CST and the EAS.
For all candidates for certification after December 31, 2013, New York State will require the completion of a 6-hour workshop on Bullying, Harassment, Cyberbullying and related topics, under the "Dignity for All Students Act" passed by the New York State Legislature. Those graduating in Fall 2013 will be subject to this requirement. Manhattanville College is now an approved provider of the "DASA" training.
For more information, go to: https://mville.digication.com/office_of_student_teaching/DASA.
For More information go to:
Important Links for Current Students