Is your student currently studying abroad? Does she have plans to study abroad for the Spring semester? If so, below are answers to commonly asked questions about how to obtain housing when students return from abroad.
Students studying abroad during a Fall semester should follow these steps to obtain Spring semester housing:
- Contact the Office of Residence Life in late October to inform us of your interest in Spring housing. Room and board charges will then be added to your account.
- Register for a full-time course-load, a minimum of 12 credits, for the upcoming Spring semester.
- Pay Spring bill by indicated due date.
- If a student has a specific request for housing, i.e. a building preference, a room type preference, as specific room or roommate request, the student should contact the Office of Residence Life at the end of November/start of December to submit the request.
- Students should be aware that, although Residence Life attempts to fulfill specific requests when possible, our ability to do so will depend on what space actually becomes available for placement as of early January. Placement for the students who have followed the steps above takes place in early January. Students are notified of placement info through their Manhattanville e-mail accounts.
Students studying abroad during a Spring semester should follow these steps to obtain Fall semester housing:
- Pay the required housing deposit with the Office of Student Accounts. This may be done during the semester preceding the students travel abroad or at any point prior to the housing deposit due date (typically the first Monday in April).
- Select an individual whom they trust who will select a Fall housing assignment for them in the students absence. This person is called a proxy.
- Once the proxy has been selected, the student going abroad should inform the Office of Residence Life in writing of the name of the proxy and their contact information. This should include the proxy's ID number, cell phone number and e-mail address. Students going abroad should include their own contact information while abroad as well.
- Register for a full-time course-load, a minimum of 12 credits, for the upcoming Fall semester.
Student receive a room lottery number based on total credits accumulated at the end of the preceding Fall semester plus the projected amount of Spring semester credits. All Spring study abroad students will be considered to have 15 credits for the current Spring semester.
The unique lottery number assigned to each student determines the day and time the proxy arrives to select a Fall housing assignment during room selection in late-April-early May.
If not already notified by the proxy, students may contact the Office of Residence Life directly to find out their Fall placement information.
Please keep in mind that the housing deposit due in April only holds a student's chosen room until July 1, the due date for Fall semester bills. Students who are not financially clear as of July 1, will lose their Fall room assignment. Students going abroad should take special care in selecting a proxy as it is the proxy's responsibility to secure a Fall housing assignment for the student studying abroad.