April 30, 2013
Manhattanville College, an NCAA Division III institution located in Purchase, N.Y. (approximately 30 minutes from New York City), invites applications for its two-year Graduate Assistant position of Assistant Sports Information Director.
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Sports Information Director in promoting the College's 20 varsity sports. The full-time position will involve all aspects of sports information, including but not limited to: writing and disseminating press releases and feature stories, serving as official game statistician for multiple sports, producing game programs and other publicity materials, managing and contributing to the department's wide-ranging video and audio broadcasting service (both on- and off-air), and updating the school's athletics website (GoValiants.com) as well as social media outlets.
The candidate will serve as the primary contact for Manhattanville's men's soccer, field hockey, women's basketball, women's hockey, men's lacrosse and baseball teams, and will also assist with other sports as needed. The job entails regular office hours during the week as well as nights and weekends as needed.
A bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field is required, as is acceptance into a graduate program at Manhattanville College. The successful candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills with knowledge of AP style, as well as a strong working knowledge of NCAA regulations and statistical rules. A familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, the SIDEARM Content Management System and StatCrew software is preferred but not required.
The position includes full tuition remission for two years, on-campus housing, a meal plan and a $5,000 yearly stipend. The 10-month position runs from August to May, with the accepted candidate anticipated to begin on August 1, 2013 once enrolled in classes at Manhattanville.
To apply, please send via email a cover letter, resume, at least two sports-related writing samples, and names and contact information for at least three references to
April 8, 2013
Position: Web Content Manager
Department: Office of Communications
The Office of Communications Department at Manhattanville College is seeking a Web Content Manager. He/She will coordinate the creation, maintenance, and accessibility of Manhattanville-owned and generated web content, and establish and maintain professional working relationships with a variety of internal clients and external contacts. The Web Content Manager must have experience in web-based publishing technology and possess strong written and oral communication skills, coupled with the ability to be proactive and multi-task. The position requires generating new content and maintaining existing content on the College's website, whether directly, or by ensuring that College and department content providers and contributors are adequately maintaining their content. The position also involves assembling, writing, editing, and proofreading new content, and making sure that all documents meet established content standards.
- Oversee work of departmental Content Providers and owners to ensure their content is accurate and current. Coordinate with writers, producers, and other contributors for consistency in style, tone, and quality. Work closely with other internal groups to coordinate content and design requirements.
- Monitor and update special sections of the website that cut across departments including Home page, News Room, "News & Event Buckets", in consultation with Managing Director, Office of Communications.
- Ensure that Website Strategy Document and Design Guidelines are followed; that content is maintained and updated to carry out the strategy.
- Monitor all web pages to maintain quality, appropriateness, and messaging. Use content management tools to post new content, or edit current content and consistent messaging.
- Conduct meetings /interviews with college faculty and or students when needed and coordinate use of News & Events featured on web site.
- Ensure approvals have been received and quality assurance measures have been met based on the web content policy and guidelines before publishing content to the website in a timely manner. Priority will be given to emergency notifications, breaking news, high profile events, and important announcements.
- Edit digital images, photos, and graphics for inclusion on the web site.
- Coordinate distribution of publications and information through multiple digital channel and create content using key word and search engine strategies to promote "findability" on the web.
- Recreate and repurpose existing content for the web effectively utilizing rich media
- Ensures website design and content meet all MVC guidelines and policies including identity, ADA, and web standards.
- Generate and review monthly report on Web analytics.
- Works with staff to develop and moderate interactive elements as assigned.
- Manages inventory of digital assets.
- Meets quality standards and deadlines set by supervisor.
- Experienced in web content management applications and publishing.
Three years' experience in web content management applications and publishing, writing and editing for a website, newspaper, magazine, or other publications, including or supplemented by marketing experience and experience in creation and management of web. Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Information Management or related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Experience and ability to use HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Joomla, CMS, CSS, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT), and knowledge of various programming languages including PHP
- Knowledge of website development and content management and maintenance processes.
- Ability to use marketing principles to write audience-specific copy for the web as needed and to successfully initiate, facilitate and produce web content as assigned.
- Ability to work in a team and handle change, prioritize tasks and meet goals/deadlines under general supervision.
- Ability to organize broad information from numerous sources into cohesive, usable and effective content for the web.
- Ability to write, edit and proof content for the web using sound practices of grammar and punctuation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external departments to produce content in a timely manner. Exceptional organizational skills a must.
- Delivery of digital media across multiple channels and platforms
- Expertise in Web-based publishing technology, working with templates and style sheets, and authoring procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in fast-paced, deadline-based environment.
- Other duties as assigned
For consideration, please send resume and cover letter to